Conserve with Cooling Tower Maintenance - Part 3: Filtration
While water treatment focuses on particulate smaller than 40 microns, larger debris can be removed through a filtration system. The combination can optimize your cooling towers system by:
- Lowering cost of chemical treatment
- Optimizing your water treatment program
- Maintaining heat transfer efficiency and increasing system life
A cooling tower inspection will provide an initial assessment on the type of filtration system needed to optimize a cooling tower’s performance. Filtration methods include the passing of water through mesh strainers, or the use of centrifugation to remove debris.
Before considering a filtration system, consider the following:
- What's the downtime cost and productivity loss due to cooling tower fouling, clogging, or excess buildup?
- What type of buildup is most problematic?
- Which part of the cooling system needs the most attention?
- Which filtration system provides the most surface area for debris removal?
- Can the filtration system be installed without shutting down the cooling tower or interfering with routine operations?
- What is the cost associated with both the filter and installation?
- How easy is the system to install and maintain?
- What type of preventative maintenance is required to maintain the filtration system
- What is the payback on the cost of the filtration system?
Answering these questions will provide a better understanding of filtration options available and the best one for your system. The benefits of making the right selection far outweigh the costs of installation and upkeep.
For help navigating your cooling tower filtration needs, call Earthwise. We'll help answer these questions and ensure your system is running clean for years to come.